So you’ve made the commitment to lose weight. Congratulations on taking the first and most important step! But where do you go from here? What’s the best strategy? Do you need to hit the gym everyday or do you start by eliminating carbs from your diet first? Do you eat 3 big meals or 6 small ones? There is SO much information out there for you to digest, which is great, but can be incredibly overwhelming. We are here to help! We asked our participants if they could give only ONE suggestion to folks just getting started what would that suggestion be.
We received a ton of great advice and here are 7 areas to get you started:
• Stop drinking soda, alcohol, junk food and processed food. If you cant read the ingredients don’t buy it.
• 90% whole foods
• Go veg!
2. Portion Control
• Portion sizes! And only snack if truly hungry, not just because it’s “snack time.”
• Eat three snacks and three meals, follow portion sizes.
• Drink water and a lot of it.
• Drink a glass of water before meals!
-Tina McCall Everhart
• Track what you eat
• Food Journal!
-Noelle Kaushik Snow
• Set a reasonable calorie goal and log every bite and sip to stay within it.
5. Eat Slowly
• When I lost the most weight ever I started off by chewing each bite 35 times. I ate slowly, I was full on half the amount of food I had previously eaten. I went from 220 to a low of 109 this way.
• The scale does not define you!
• The scale is NOT your friend. Try to “weigh” your loss in other ways!
– Allison Hesketh Klunk
• Be patient. You have to lose 1 pound before you can lose 50.
• Patience is the key. Make things like working out a “job” so you have to go. Eventually when you see results, it will not be a task.
-Melissa Zagorac White
• Don’t let a set back become a back slide.
• It’s not going to happen overnight, don’t give up on you!
Again, congratulations on taking the first step! And a sincere thank you to all of our participants for giving us some great tips and suggestions. We are always interested in hearing what’s working for you, so email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment in the section below.
Marty, The HealthyWage Coach